During this time, it's been hard not to question why there is a delay. I have honestly struggled with questions of why our son has to spend one day longer than absolutely necessary in an orphanage on the other side of the ocean. This trip to Eastern Europe isn't even a trip to bring him home; it's just to visit and make the formal commitment to bringing him home. He still has to wait for us for another four to six months to come ransom him.
Even through my questions, the Lord has been good. He has been patient and He has listened. I don't even pretend to understand the timing involved in all of this, but it is His timing, and not mine. He has even sent encouragement. My devotions recently have held verses that seem to be very appropriate for right now.
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens... Ecclesiastes 3:1
But they who wait upon the Lord will get new strength... Isaiah 40:31
I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion;Even today, my devotion centered around trusting God:
therefore I will wait for him.”
The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him,
to the one who seeks him;
it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord. Lamentations 3:24-26
But I trust in you, O Lord; I say, "You are my God." Psalm 31:14.
He has also sent encouragement in more personal, tangible ways. For instance, before we even got knee-deep in this process, a new family joined our co-op. This sweet mom and I were partnered to teach in the preschool class together. Her youngest daughter was adopted through Reece's Rainbow just three years ago. This connection was not a coincidence and her encouragement has been such a blessing to me. She has been interested in every tiny step along the way. When we realized today that yet another week had gone by without a signature, she graciously stepped in and took over our little class so I could have a moment alone. What a blessing.
A few weeks ago, The Daddy Guy's office held a chili cook-off and turned it into an impromptu fundraiser for our adoption funds. Co-workers made chili, filled out their NCAA brackets, and gave donations. Another friend took photos at our church Daddy-Daughter Dance, and then announced that the proceeds would benefit our adoption, bringing in generous donations to our FSP. Equally as precious, a new friend, someone I barely know from church, has offered to hold a fundraiser in her home to help with our expenses. More than the money, these generous gifts give the Daddy Guy and I encouragement.
Another huge source of encouragement has been a precious group of ladies from my church. Last Thursday, I came home from a day of errands to find a "bucket of sunshine" on my front porch; a small bucket filled with cute yellow items and an encouraging card. The next day, a dear friend totally surprised me with a goody bag of pedicure items and nail polish. On Saturday, I finally realized that my friends were conspiring when a precious friend drove up with flowers, a Starbucks gift card and plans to "kidnap" me for the afternoon, but my parents were in town for a visit, so we decided to get together another day. On Sunday, I looked forward to a friend dropping by with a mix of treats that I love. Early this week brought an emergency kit and bubble-wrap for stress-relief.
They're still smiling on my kitchen counter.
I wonder if breaking the glass will make me feel better, too?
Need I say more?
What each of these lovely ladies really brought to me was love. Love for me. Love for my family. Love for our son we've never met. God knew exactly what I needed and sent it through my friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment