The Saturday before Mother's Day is known as Birthmother's Day in the adoption community. It's a way to honor those mothers who made the decision to give up their children because of life's difficult circumstances.
Our sweet baby's birthparents have been on my mind a lot this week as we prepare to travel. They live in a country where parents are encouraged to give up children born with disabilities. Their society finds it difficult to accept children with disabilities. The little bit I know about his story suggests that his parents love him and wanted the opportunity to take care of him, but in the end were overwhelmed by the prospect. They had to make a ridiculously difficult choice.
Adoption does not come from abandonment. Adoption comes from second chances. I don't know what his mother has had to go through in the past three years. I do know that I pray for her and appreciate her. I deeply desire for her to know that her son will be loved and cared for. My heart grieves for her while I rejoice in meeting our new son.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/a-mothers-day-plea-to-stop-equating-adoption-with-abandonment/2013/05/10/088c6362-b692-11e2-b94c-b684dda07add_story.html
No comments:
Post a Comment