Yesterday, the sermon at our church was based on Psalm 62. It is one I have read before, but not one I was very familiar with. When I first opened my bible to this passage, verse 5 was the first to catch my eye.
"My soul is quiet and waits for God alone. My hope comes from Him." (NLB)
As I skimmed to the beginning of the chapter, I read,
"My soul is quiet and waits for Go alone. He is the One Who saves me."
Quiet. Huh.
A few weeks ago, the kids and I were sitting together, reading a devotion before school. The topic was being quiet before the Lord. One of the passages mentioned was from Lamentations,
"The Lord is wonderfully good to those who wait for him and seek him. So it is good to wait quietly for salvation from the Lord. (3:25-26)"
I remember reading that and thinking, "Oh, I'll wait, but quietly? Really? Lord, when I'm waiting, I'm crying to you the whole time!" Honestly, when I am waiting on the Lord, I am usually praying, reminding God that I'm waiting for His perfect timing, which is probably my way of saying that I'd like His timing to be my timing so let's just hurry this thing along thankyouverymuch! I have often said that I'll be patient and wait, just tell me how long I'll have to wait! Ha!
This morning, as I was sitting outside, watching the kids play before we started our school work, I pulled out my notes from yesterday's sermon. I had a different bible in my lap as I read the verses again. This translation read,
"I wait quietly before God,
for my hope is in him (v5)."
Suddenly, the conviction hit me like a ton of bricks. How many times have I told my kids to wait for something/me/someone only to have them continually remind me over and over of what they're waiting for? They'll hop around, or sneak by quietly, checking to see if it's time, or they'll plead about shortening the wait. How many times have I told them that if they aren't quiet, they're not going to get what they want? *thud*
God is my Heavenly Father. He has a plan, a perfect plan. I am so guilty of trying to jump ahead and see what's next. And while I'm waiting for Him to reveal the next step, I'm hopping around and pleading for the wait to end. I am. not. quiet.
I need to rest in Him. As Dr. Bob Jones told us yesterday, "Hope isn't a wish, it is a confident expectation that God will be God."
"Lord, I believe... help my unbelief."
No comments:
Post a Comment