"Can I go outside?" Some of the best words I hear all day. I love watching the kids ride bikes, swing, dig, lay in the hammock, and play in our tiny garden. Our yard isn't big, but we do have lots of shade and a swing set. Our screened in porch now has a new table and chair set that the kids love to sit at while eating. Only the very hottest days of summer are uncomfortable in the back yard.
However, my kids also belong to the twenty-first century. We DVR television shows. They have computer time. And they're always asking for more. So, we've made the decision to turn off the television and unplug the computer for two months this summer.
Two months. Have I lost my mind? Probably. Now, the hypocrite that I am, I'm not including the Daddy Guy and I in this electronics ban. We have to be able to
keep up with our shows and Facebook watch the news and keep in touch with family and friends. We won't watch TV right in front of them, and I'll try to keep the laptop tucked away. We're making a summer reading list and trying to emphasize authors that they haven't read before. There may be a rainy day where I pop in a DVD while the Stinker naps.
I'm looking forward to pitching tents in the backyard and cramming all of us on the hammock to read. We'll spend hours at the pool. I'm also exploring new crafts to do with them (anyone have any ideas?). No matter what we do with our time, this can't be a bad thing. Right?
Yep. Mind lost. :o)
ReplyDeleteThe same thoughts (unplugging for the summer) have crossed my mind. My kids HATE playing outside, and I'm constantly attempting to motivate them go outdoors. In their defense, we don't have a lot of shade and it does get pretty humid and hot. Maybe we can swap ideas/things that work!
ReplyDelete